Need server maintenance, technical help or performance improvements? Contact me at @DanielLockyer or [email protected]
I save my clients time and money by maintaining servers, optimizing websites and improving software.
I have been working with Pieter Levels since 2015 to keep his sites running fast, with plenty of discussion about my work on Twitter. My technical blog posts often refer to this work. These sites have over 800,000 monthly visitors.
Pieter has been able to focus on growth and development of the sites instead of maintenance and updates.
Maintaining the client servers for this leading UK web development & SEO agency. A recent upgrade to their software reduced the time-to-first-byte (TTFB) by up to 64% across 70+ sites.
Tuned up the server by upgrading PHP & Nginx, installing a caching system and optimizing the configuration. CPU usage dropped from 220% to 10%, total page load dropped from 4.4s to 2.9s (-34%) and time-to-first-byte (TTFB) reduced from 0.9s to 0.2s (-77%).
The client was able to downgrade their server package and save money.
Updated WordPress framework and plugins, set up static caching with Cloudflare, upgraded PHP to 7.2 and optimized asset loading.
Upgraded this WordPress site from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.2. CPU usage dropped by 60% and TTFB dropped from 651ms to 251ms (-61%).
Working in collaboration to improve the loading time & performance of Shopify sites. Common results include reducing load time by 40%, page size by 25% and number of requests by 35%.
The decrease in page load time gives a higher Google search ranking, a better user experience and more conversions.
Migrated site from shared hosting to a VPS. The move also involved upgrading PHP from 5.4 to 7.2, adding HTTPS & HTTP/2, and enabling Brotli compression. The response time dropped from over 1000ms to 400ms (-60%) and total download time dropped from 498ms to <100ms (-80%).
The server bill was cut in half and the site was more favorable to search engine ranking.
A custom application I worked on for a client had a dramatic reduction in total page load time. By lazy loading non-important content, the initial page size dropped by 63% and the number of requests dropped by 24%.
Dropped their slowest page load time from 30s+ to 4s after implementing suggestions I gave during a consulting session.
- University of Southampton - Rewrote the majority of the C/Python software for a remote drone tracking solution, incorporating satellite connectivity, GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth.
- MWR InfoSecurity - Developed features for Countercept, a network intrusion detection & response platform.
- Hartshill School - I developed a custom help desk solution to help staff report IT issues. The application has streamlined the entire process and saves the IT administrators hundreds of hours per month.
Alongside these, I have worked with many clients on projects I can’t write about.
- Rewriting stackcollapse-xdebug in Rust
- Red flags in website performance
- PHP Flame Graphs
- How a software upgrade can make you more money
- PHP histogram dashboard
- PHP response time histograms
- Profiling PHP Apps
- Server monitoring
- How to find slow PHP scripts
- Project: Cron Heatmap
- Project: Upgrade your PHP
- Caching static HTML with Cloudflare - 22 February 2019
- Rewriting stackcollapse-xdebug in Rust - 08 February 2019
- Red flags in website performance - 26 January 2019
Cron Heatmap - Visualize your cron jobs, see the “hot spots” and reduce server load with this tool.
Upgrade your PHP - PHP 5.6 and 7.0 are now unsupported. They will not receive important future security updates and do not contain the performance benefits that the latest versions provide. Learn about the issue on this site.
LaunchTests - Many sites contain key issues that stop their growth or shareability. Check for them using this tool.