Need server maintenance, technical help or performance improvements? Contact me at @DanielLockyer or [email protected]
My blog consists of technical posts about my work, records of my achievements and stories of my life. I add tags to each post so visit the tags page if you have a specific interest. You can see all my posts here.
Setting up a limited company
05 December 2018 - After 6 months of consulting and freelancing, I recently decided to switch from sole trader status to a limited company.
Paleo Gluten Free Eats - Upgraded this WordPress site from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.2. CPU usage dropped by 60% and time-to-first-byte (TTFB) dropped from 651ms to 251ms (-61%).
VloggingPro - Migrated site from shared hosting to a VPS. The move also involved upgrading PHP from 5.4 to 7.2, adding HTTPS & HTTP/2, and enabling Brotli compression.
Nomad List & Remote OK - I have been working with Pieter Levels since 2015 to keep his sites up and running fast. The process has involved keeping on top of the latest technology advancements and rapidly debugging issues.
University of Southampton - Rewrote the majority of the C/Python software for a remote drone tracking solution, incorporating satellite connectivity, GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth.
Hartshill School - I developed a custom help desk solution to help staff report IT issues. The application has streamlined the entire process and saves the IT administrators hundreds of hours per month.
Alongside these, I have worked with many clients on projects I can’t write about.
- PHP histogram dashboard
- PHP response time histograms
- Upgrade your PHP
- Profiling PHP Apps
- Server monitoring
- How to find slow PHP scripts
- PHP Flame Graphs
- Cron Heatmap - Visualize your cron jobs, see the “hot spots” and reduce server load with this tool.
- Upgrade your PHP - PHP 5.6 and 7.0 will become unsupported at the end of 2018. They will lose important future security updates and do not contain the performance benefits that the latest versions provide.
- LaunchTests - Many sites contain key issues that stop their growth or shareability. Check for them using this tool.
On an adventure around the world, with just a carry-on bag. Right now, I’m in southeast Asia.
I run a consulting company and build websites to solve my own problems.
I love to run and listen to great stories. I have a Master’s degree in Computer Science from the University of Southampton, UK.
I am currently:
- Working with clients to improve their website performance
- Building websites to solve my problems
- Writing articles for my blog
- Training for a 50 mile (80km) ultramarathon
- Improving my static apnea times