Need server maintenance, technical help or performance improvements? Contact me at @DanielLockyer or [email protected]
I run a consulting company to maintain servers, optimize websites and improve software. I save my clients time and money.
Nomad List & Remote OK - I have been working with Pieter Levels since 2015 to keep his sites up and running fast. There is plenty of discussion about my work on Twitter. My technical blog posts use data from these sites. These sites have over 800,000 monthly visitors.
Indie Traveller - Tuned up the server by upgrading PHP & Nginx, installing a caching system and optimizing the configuration. CPU usage dropped from 220% to 10%, total page load dropped from 4.4s to 2.9s (-34%) and time-to-first-byte (TTFB) reduced from 0.9s to 0.2s (-77%). The client was able to downgrade their server package and save money.
Whole Design Studios - Working in collaboration to improve the loading time & performance of Shopify sites. Common results include reducing load time by 40%, page size by 25% and number of requests by 35%.
Paleo Gluten Free Eats - Upgraded this WordPress site from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.2. CPU usage dropped by 60% and TTFB dropped from 651ms to 251ms (-61%).
VloggingPro - Migrated site from shared hosting to a VPS. The move also involved upgrading PHP from 5.4 to 7.2, adding HTTPS & HTTP/2, and enabling Brotli compression. The server bill was cut in half, response time dropped from over 1000ms to 400ms (-60%) and total download time dropped from 498ms to <100ms (-80%).
University of Southampton - Rewrote the majority of the C/Python software for a remote drone tracking solution, incorporating satellite connectivity, GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth.
Hartshill School - I developed a custom help desk solution to help staff report IT issues. The application has streamlined the entire process and saves the IT administrators hundreds of hours per month.
Alongside these, I have worked with many clients on projects I can’t write about.
- How a software upgrade can make you more money
- PHP histogram dashboard
- PHP response time histograms
- Upgrade your PHP
- Profiling PHP Apps
- Server monitoring
- How to find slow PHP scripts
- PHP Flame Graphs
- How a software upgrade can make you more money - 13 January 2019
- First impressions of Bose QC35 II - 10 January 2019
- Books I've read - 09 January 2019
- Day one in Kuala Lumpur - 08 January 2019
- New Year's Eve 2018 - 07 January 2019
- Cron Heatmap - Visualize your cron jobs, see the “hot spots” and reduce server load with this tool.
- Upgrade your PHP - PHP 5.6 and 7.0 are now unsupported. They will not receive important future security updates and do not contain the performance benefits that the latest versions provide. Learn about the issue on this site.
- LaunchTests - Many sites contain key issues that stop their growth or shareability. Check for them using this tool.
I am currently:
- Working with clients to improve their website performance
- Building websites to solve my problems
- Writing articles for my blog
- Training for a 50 mile (80km) ultramarathon
- Improving my static apnea times